Sunday, August 4, 2013

Beginnings

Prior to one month ago, I had never baked anything more than a few chocolate chip cookies for the kids. We have a breadmaking machine but don't use it frequently, and I had never used it at all. On the other hand I love bread and even though one can buy a lot of nice freshly-made bread in Hungary, I have become very bored with the standard loaves.

I'd often glanced through a very nice bread-making recipe book that has been lying around at home for a few years, with breads from all over the globe. So recently, I decided I am going to work my way through the book during the coming year, bake all the breads it contains.

I might use the machine now and again but mostly I am going to make them completely by hand.  From start to finish this is often 4-5 hours during which I cannot stray too far from the kitchen so it will be more a winter activity. However I've started with enthusiasm and made 5 in the last 2 weeks.

Photos of each will be posted here.

Well, except the first one which I forgot to photo.  It was the most basic recipe, a french "Pain Ordinaire" which turned out ok except I messed it up when putting it into the oven and it flattened out a bit. Learn by mistake...

No comments:

Post a Comment